Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I wasn't ready...

I had a fun weekend.  I went and watched a roller derby match for the first time, which was really fun.  These girls go round and round and just bash the crap out of each other. There's a method to the madness and even some strategy, but mostly it's like professional wrestling.  I left that night for Newport to go fishing.  No fish.  No sleep.  I got back late Sunday and crashed, only to try and drag my ass out of bed for work.  It's one of the few times I really didn't want to engage in anything at work.  Didn't want to talk.  Didn't want to go on runs.  Just wanted to veg.  And, I did.  I got in a short nap before dinner and when I was woken up by Napolean Dynamite calling me to dinner (it's a Sta. 20 thing), I thought it was the next morning and I was going home.  I was a little disappointed.  After dinner and a couple runs, I changed into my shorts and committed to riding the spin bike for a while as I watched a movie.  I managed an hour, keeping the revolutions/minute up around 80-85.  My legs were a little jelly-like after that, but at least I did something.  I made a promise to get in more of a weight workout the next day.  So I did this, this morning:

Warm-Up:  "Core Performance" Movement prep
DB Shoulder circuit @ 10#

Main: Do each exercise for 10 reps, 3 sets, for time
-Hanging Snatch High Pulls
-Pull-ups
-Zercher Front Squats
-Spine Hip Extension
-Jackknife push-up

I wasn't ready for this.  I was a bit jazzed up after I wrote it out this morning, and I even jogged in between the snatch high pulls and the pull-ups, but after that I was done.  I rested quite a bit between sets of 5 of the pull-ups.  Everything else went okay, but I was walking to each station.  I used 95# barbell for the high pulls and front squats.  The Zercher front squats are really cool.  If you're like me and have a hard time maintaining form on regular squats, you might try these.  You cradle the bar in between your forearm and biceps, right in your elbow-pit.  The weight is then in front of your body and lower than normal.  I could really feel it in my glutes and hips.  Anyway, I slogged my way through this in 13:47.  Good news is, my shoulder hasn't been bothering me at all, though I did hear little "pops" when doing the pull-ups.  Oh well, just another lifelong injury.

No comments: