Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rest assured...

... I'm still doing it.  I was up in Seattle for a bit where I got in some hiking around UW where I went to school.  Everything there is uphill.  I also did a couple of hours of kayaking on Puget Sound out of Alki Beach.  Really fun, I may have to get a kayak soon.  Daph, this was different from the one we used, it was a true sea kayak with a rudder that you controlled with your feet and sprayskirts.  I had planned a hike up Mt. Si, but chose instead to sleep in instead before heading home for a concert.  I worked a couple days in a row, the second day of which I played some HORSE (shooting baskets) with a co-worker followed by some core work.  I didn't workout the first day because I forgot any remotely athletic shoes and so played basketball and did this core workout with boots on.  I don't recommend it.  So my co-worker told me he did a big leg workout the day before and that he wanted to target his abs today.  I came up with this and we both did it.

Main: 3 sets of 20 each
-V-ups
-Standing Russian Twists
-Sky-Rockets
-Weighted Twists
-Ball Slam/Jump

It hurt.  I still feel it two days later.  But it's a good hurt, like I feel stronger.  I'd been having some pain in my lower right back, not a spine kind of pain, but muscle pain.  I finished the workout with some relaxed positions that I got from Pete Egoscue's book "Pain Free".  After doing what he told me to for lower back pain, I was pain free for the next 2 days. 
Yesterday I slept a ton (up at work for two nights in a row) and got in some outdoor dodgeball that evening which can be a decent little workout, definitely fun and dynamic.  And today I got back into a more traditional workout.

Warm-up:
-Plate warm-up
-WGS
-Sumo Squat-Stand
-Lunge w/ twist
-Shoulder DB Circuit

Main: Straight through
-Deadlift x40
-Pull-ups x30
-Strides x5
-Overhead Squat x30
-Cartwheels x5 each direction
-DB Overhead Press x40

Cooldown:
-Lower Back positions from Egoscue's "Pain Free" book

Good warm-up.  I did the main workout straight through, as it's written.  However, I did rest in between go's.  For instance, I'd do 10 deadlifts and rest.  10 more and rest, etc.  Same with the pull-ups.  I'd do 5 and rest, etc.  For the deadlifts I used 155#.  The overhead squats were just with a 45# bar.  DB presses were done with 25# DB's.  The strides and the cartwheels were thrown in to give me a bit of a break and to sort of re-align my body and it's functions.  If I were to just do a bunch of lifts without working out those muscles, I think I'd get all crampy and tight.  It helped to sprint a bit, and the cartwheels were good to use my shoulders and body awareness.  And they're fun.  Finished it up with the lower back positions and hoping to keep the lower right pain from coming back.  We'll see.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

I set up for an event in San Bernardino in 110 degree sun at 1:00 pm. It involved hauling around very heavy potted plants and flats of drinks and ice. I started getting heat exhaustion. It was not fun. I had to fly home in my sweaty clothes, literally covered in a crust of salt. It was beyond gross. Today I feel as tired as we did the day after we went kayaking. I'll go running tomorrow after I'm all rested. But I definitely want to get a little boat for the beach/bay. I wonder what I could get? Something small, super-light, that can be paddled...